Sunday, July 6, 2008

Perfect Sundae(ay) ;)

WARNING: Long post! (Possibly the longest ever...yeah I always say that! No really.)




I had a great weekend :) especially today...Mother Nature put on an utterly gloooorious day at the beach^^! Today was a much needed lie in, then a great chunky beetroot&sumac dip on extra virgin olive oiled toast with chai for breakfast before G & I headed for some lazy sun!


it's called ART, Folks!
Idle fingerprints.



I also got to try out my cute new flip flops.They were a little disappointing on wet sand. They were pretty good wet mark wise on a dry floor. They were really funny on the shower floor- the pawprints acted like suction cups! This picture was on soft sand.


Gosh I love the beach...the ocean...if only my parents had discovered how self amused I keep for hours on end if they had just dumped me at the beach as a kid...sure would have saved them a lot of stress ...(j.k)...actually they finally came clean last week and told me that I was actually a very, very good kid- completely placid - that sounds right...I don't even remember talking! (Boy, do some things change, LOL)

Later in the arvo, caught up with my long lost friend N who I had the random fortune to bump into and reconnect with earlier this year. Seeing her again took me back to the golden days: a carefree pseudo artsy fartsy film and media student with all the time in the world to watch obscure films as part of our film society. It was great to be able to re-embrace one of my long lost loves which tragically got lost by the wayside of 'growing up' - it was incredibly refreshing to reconnect with cultured people who have eclectic tastes yet who still manage to be grounded and down-to-earth - not pretentious and airy fairy which typifies most of that "too cool for school" elitist wanker crowd.

In any case her place was Pure 'Kid in a Candy store' excitement for me- after being stuck in the glut of Regional Australia the last year which had only a very limited range of latest blockbuster stinkers, her one shelf was LOADED with only the good stuff...hopefully I'll be able to get through all that I borrowed over the remaining 2 weeks of freedom...I'm really looking forward to this!

Saturday was...interesting. It's amazing how 8 times out of 10 when I actually manage to get out of the house...it doesn't seem possible to have a dull day...as continues my bizarre trend, I seem to always meet interesting random people!

Saturday I accidentally met a filthy rich property mogul. I was around and about the harbour sussing out potential new digs when I happened to pass this mogul arriving for his open inspection...he invites me to come have a look apologising for the "god-awful brick wall view"...As I enter, the beautiful harbour and iconic bridge loom large in my face: looking down from the balcony I see 2 swimming pools, a private jetty and the rocks which line the shore...haha great sense of humour! This $2.2 mil 3 bedroom 2 bathroom smack bang on the waterfront penthouse is OBVIOUSLY out of my price range!

In any case we had a good chat and I learned a thing or two...I'm not sure whether it was because I seemed so unaffected by the grandeur of it all but he started reeling off some of his personal and totally obscene passive income per month figures and it then occurs to me I'm talking to the richest person I ever met in my life! So I'm not particularly reactive to the world of money, but it was pretty impressive to meet a self made successful entrepreneur with an empire as large as his! The only thing that I found slightly annoying was that he mentioned about THREE times "you need to get yourself a boyfriend"...(ie: so that I could live in said penthouse)...

In this day and age where women can be self-made and successful of their own doing, the capable feminist in me found this assumed need for dependence kinda insulting and chauvinistic!!

Anyway, on my way back, I got further distracted by the unusual environment and started snapping pics. Tired from these labours I was sitting on a rock stairwell overlooking a gully enjoying the fresh serene air and writing when suddenly these incredibly energetic and playful bundles of mischief ie: West Highland terriers (Tin Tin Dogs) decided to pay an extended visit!

Meet Lulu and Kike...how I love their Spanish names...(their owner was Columbian.)



They were so...frenetically motile I was wondering how come they were suddenly so still...and then on closer inspection, the mystery was clarified...



After that diversion, a couple more happy snaps and then met up with R who was also doing the property hunt thing. After all that walking, happily satiated myself with an authentic Malaysian Chicken Laksa :) (after spending Friday night with a bunch of white folks I was pining a bit for some asian-ness)...honestly growing up in a dual culture is SO CONFUSING!

Then I conned R to come to the driving range except that perhaps due to being in the presence of a near golfing PRO, for some strange reason I was completely unable to hit the ball! It would have been completely embarrassing if G&I didn't find it so Hilarious! (R was not impressed :P).

Friday night was spent with the uber cool totally hip city slicker urbanite architecture crowd...gosh I felt Old, and Daggy. I had no idea what they were talking about, what ultra trendy blend of sparkling wine they were drinking...it then occurred to me that M's accusations of
1. You're a Hippie!
2. You're such a Country Bumpkin!

well, relatively, they do have some basis :P

But at least we watched a cool doco which I enjoyed: My architect about the life of Louis Kahn as presented by his son Nathaniel Kahn. Being all white-peopled out I was especially proud to learn that the stately Pyramid which adorns the outside of the Louvre was designed by an Asian! (I.M Pei)

It was really interesting since architecture is an area I previously knew close to nothing about! My favourite part though was the instant recognition when Nathaniel's mother on being questioned on how she stayed single her entire life after Kahn's premature death declares "Well, I'm a romantic fatalist...and...a bit of a loner". LOL, I was..."That's me! That's me!" and G was "That's you! That's you!" ;)

No comments: