Monday, July 14, 2008

What a wasteful world we live in...

I caught a snippet of a border security show destroying several hundred cartons of brand new counterfeit brand name clothing. Although they were doing it to protect the real trademark owners, I couldn't help but feel some outrage when I saw all those boxes of brand new clothing going into landfill and having a tractor rolled over them to make them unsalvageable.

I don't see why they couldn't just have given all those clothes to impoverished communities such as in Africa where all the concerns that exist had they been circulated into our society would be lost in places like that where all they really care about is that they have some clothes on their back! In any case isn't it good advertising to see more people wearing clothes emblazoned with your brand names?

I guess it's something like how back in high school we learnt that all these claims of world food shortage are a myth...because huge tankers of grain etc were being sunk to the bottom of the ocean since it was cheaper than sending it as foreign aid- I don't really know about politics etc and my understanding is potentially wrong and overly simplistic but that is how it was explained to me... such a waste!

I'm also into preventing unnecessary landfill, that's why I think initiatives such as Reverse Garbage are so great!

1 comment:

Caroline said...

That makes me sad...such waste that could have been used!