Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Eternal Butterfly...

Sometimes I just really annoy myself. When I left for my trip- my place was orderly, spotless! Now I've been back two weeks it resembles something of a bomb shelter and I just feel completely passive to rectifying the situation...because I'm in HOLIDAY MODE I just don't feel like partaking in anything that resembles responsible daily grind...

I wish I had been born with a little more innate discipline but no, ever the hedonist, I'm always ready to fly out the door as soon as the next bit of fun and excitement comes knocking...in this way I flit from here to there and can easily never get anything of substance achieved- I guess you could say, in some ways I'm the 'rolling stone which gathers no moss' or the 'jack of all trades master of none'. I really admire people who can hone their interests and skills to really excel and become expert in one thing.

People sometimes view my profile and remark- Wow you have a lot of interests! That's the thing. Most people get interested in something transiently and then the phase passes and they never need to revisit that interest again. I on the otherhand with my voracious appetite for knowledge, new ideas, new experiences etc etc I just keep collecting and adding and hence when I get to holidays when I actually have time to engage with these interests I find that my portfolio of interests is just way too large and unmanageable and I end up getting completely exhausted with my energy all dissipated. Although I love diversity and variety, I also really like to pursue interests in a little depth, so there is a little dissatisfaction when you have so many different interests because there never will be enough time!

I realise in life not only do you need to prioritise your priorities but similarly you need to prioritise your leisure! I wish I was better at doing that "everything in moderation" thing - now that I finally have that leeway to enjoy myself I'm like the starving orphan who doesn't exercise any restraint and devours the entire plate in one minute and then suffers from indigestion...

No comments: