Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What the heck, let's have some fun with this ;)

Whenever I ask people what kind of Asian I am they inevitably look at me like it's some kind of trick question and refuse to answer. The only reason why I ask is because people seem to be getting increasingly more wrong as I grow older!

And partially cos I'm sick of Asians asking (almost accusingly) "What kind of Asian are you?!" and saying "Asians don't have freckles!" (yeah they do if they spend enough time in the sun without the trademark umbrellas!! *roll eyes*)

And then the Whiteys think I'm not full asian. And even the Eurasians think I'm one of them!

Which is all quite bizarre seeming to me cos I always thought I looked full asian! Until about the age of 18 or 19 or so I think people always at least knew I was a full asian. I guess it's the harsh Australian sun- makes your hair less black and you get more freckles! But then I'm also quite pale too so unless I wear the fisherman's hat and carry the big camera bag nobody ever mistakes me for Japanese anymore either-haven't had any friendly "Konnichiwas" for a good 5 or 6 years now! Or maybe it's the demeanour...

I still do get a heck of a lot of older Chinese people speaking Chinese to me though but that is usually by default cos I'm the only person with black hair in a room and they can't speak any English...this is always really embarrassing and even when I rack my brains back to TAFE Mandarin Chinese Level 1, if put on the spot I still can't remember how to say in Chinese "I don't speak Chinese!"...so shameful!

Anyway...hehe...the next time some sucker asks me my ethnicity I'm going to say something exotic but believable like I'm half Indonesian, a quarter Chinese and a quarter Dutch. And the next time I might get more daring and say I'm Half Burmese and Half Irish...and I'll see how outrageous I can get before they realise I'm totally B.S-ing!

Cheap Thrills...Damn, if only I were that exotic and interesting :P

1 comment:

koala brains said...

Ohmigosh, I can TOTALLY relate. Did I write this and not realize it - LOL! Looks like we have more in common than just music. I'm Asian (Japanese) and people always wonder what kind of Asian I am, especially other Asians. I'm tall and have freckles (yes, we get them and this throws people off) so I've been asked if I'm Chinese, Phillipino, Korean, Malaysian, Japanese (they usually never guess this)and even Native American and South American. I'm also asked if I'm half Asian and white which I don't get!