Thursday, July 10, 2008

Couchsurfing: Just Curious!

image: turin chaise longue sofa from furniture123


Well-travelled R who just returned from a many monthed epic world adventure, *envy*, recently told me about "couchsurfing" - yeah, folks we live on an isolated island continent here- it takes a while for information to permeate through LOL

In any case, for someone who is limited by the fact that she doesn't do long haul flights (and let's face it when you're in Australia, that is pretty limiting), so anyway, the concept got me very excited- when travelling solo, I think being able to see a different place through the eyes of a local is totally unreal, however being a small sized female generally quite cynical about the good intentions of society, I wasn't sure how wise or advisable it is for someone like me to actually try...(in the event that I do get myself on a long haul flight.)

And, cos I pretty well hold my personal space as SACRED there is no way that I would want to have random people in my place since I can't even stand the people close to me living with me for too long! So I think it's kinda unethical using the service unless one has a couch to offer...

But hmmm...I LOVE.LOVE.LOVE talking to people from other countries, people whose experiences so differ from my own:
I love learning stupid phrases in all different languages!
I love learning country specific slang and culture specific ideas!
I love talking similarities and differences and I love exotic accents!
I guess that's why I love having penpals cos that's the next closest thing. I'm still looking for one that I'll still be writing to when I'm 60 though-hint, hint ;)

I'm still keen to explore the bits of Australia I haven't though as I'm still trying to stake out where I want to relocate in this vast island when I'm ready to set up shop. I'm really tempted to use this "couchsurfing"methodology not to crash at random strangers as such but just to get to meet up with some locals and learn about actual living in the new potential area though cos as always...I'm always drawn to places where I know absolutely noone-it's just more exciting that way! All my friends and family are total city slickers anyway :P

On the other hand I love exchanging stories with people about my country too...so maybe not 'couchsurfing' as such but a cross-culture or cross-locality interchange...that is, unless I ever decide to open a hostel...

I don't think so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i keep hearing about this couchsurfing thing lately! it seems to be getting really popular. i also recenty saw it here in a great post: http://blog.matthewdelja.com/2008/07/couchsurfing.html

Zz... said...

that was really informative- thanks for that!