Monday, July 14, 2008

Welcome, Pilgrims! =)


PILGRIM...what an archaic word(!) I don't think that word has been a conscious part of my vocabulary since high school days of Latin translations!

Today I met up with my super motivated already a physiotherapist but becoming a doctor friend for lunch and managed to witness the city abuzz with pilgrims. It was pretty cool- I haven't felt such an electric "the world has gathered" atmosphere since the Olympics! And haha since collecting flags has been on the brain lately, I really loved the pilgrims who were wrapped in their country flags- if I had more time to kill I would probably go out just for the fun of flag spotting! Today I consciously noticed Mexico, Canada and Germany flags but I'm sure there were many, many more.

Since his Holiness arrived the weather has suddenly turned balmy so it's been a great change and I even managed to take advantage of this by sneaking in a quick beach visit- I enjoyed observing the pilgrims admiring our golden sands and big turquoise waves...including nuns and priests swathed in full robes with rosary beads etc...

I hate crowds, but I love having so many people from all over the world around, so this is one exception when I like crowds and I like the city - surprisingly we're handling it far better than I expected in terms of traffic, crowds and transport.

It's such a shame you're not here M, I think for Catholics, it's an amazing experience to be part of! I'm still deliberating on whether I should bother trying to sneak a peep of the Pope Mobile!

No comments: