Sunday, August 24, 2008

I Miss the Stars...

Terribly. I was amazed to look out from my city balcony and besides seeing right into a neighbour's kitchen sink, when I looked up I actually saw...STARS! What a treat it is to be able to see stars these days, let alone the moon- I can't even remember when I last saw it : (

This is a far cry from my regional living days, which I'm missing terribly. I used to walk home at dusk to be greeted by a serene blue-black sky flooded with the glimmer of a zillion twinkly silver stars, a luminous big swiss cheese for a moon, and a wide open road...a husband and wife pair of ducks - let's call them Martha and Bert- used to waddle and quack part of the trail home for me.

I feel homesick. It's such a struggle to live in the city- such oppression- no space, no privacy, no ability to take deep lungfuls of air, no peace...so difficult to stay healthy and functional especially with all my incessantly chain-smoking and uncivilised neighbours.

Time has flown by but even though I'm being kept busy to the point of constant exhaustion, when you're not having fun, it feels like time draws out like an interminable spider thread...

I don't know why I feel so homesick now- I think it's cos my qigong teacher was describing how he travels all over rural Australia each week sharing his knowledge, and I guess it made me feel really envious since I know and love all those places...and I know it'll be a while yet before I have enough skill and experience to be able to do the rural or "flying doctor"... although I know that there is a real need for regional health services, I think my desire now is equally motivated by wanting to have a valid excuse to regularly escape the city in the event that I still have to live here...my mum always just says..."eh why make life so difficult? Just go marry a rich farmer!"
LOL

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Hi there..I found you from my friend Caroline..(the zen in you) and I must say I love your taste in music..we have alot of the same likes..and to actually find someone else who likes Mum is fantastic..let alone know who they are..
anyway I am Kelly..nice to meet ya!
~Cheers

Caroline said...

That's what happens when you live in the city...I wish I could see more stars! But you are a star...I have an award for you at my blog (it's all good fun!).

Unknown said...

Come visit Canada...we are one big rural wide open space. Well my city is anyways!
I could never live in a big city after living for 28 years in a small one
I am ok with being a bumpkin :)

Hecate RavenMoon said...

Blessings.
I miss those days when we could walk along the road at dusk and gaze up at the stars and the moon.

Cannot do that here where I live now, in Memphis TN. Too much violence, too many gangs, too much heartache. I long to go back to Salem Mass. :(

It's really not even to sit on your front or back patio at dusk without the fear of being attacked.

Maybe someday.....

Kelly said...

I love Sigur Ros..Takk..listenin' to that right now..
The Mum I have is 'Finally we are no one' and it is fantastic!