Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Synchronicity and Italian Chocolate...

LOOOVE Italian leather, Italian shoes...but most of all, Italian...CHOCOLATE!! (the only one I feel comfortable splurging on too LOL)

Anyhow it was funny, was discussing favourite chocolate with a fellow gourmand and I was telling her about this Italian (can get from Rome airport) chocolate called NOVI which I really like...

Fast forward...I was bad and just opened a new bar of reasonably pricey but still-from-supermarket chocolate I got on sale...Green & Blacks(organic)...

With that first mouthful.....Yuuuuuum...instant recognition! I flipped the bar over and sure enough...in fine print..."Made in Italy"! I don't know what it is but I just like the way they make chocolate...I'd have to say the worst, worst chocolate award has to go to the Americans...I think I tried some of their "best" stuff in some wanky department store in NYC...and...honestly, it was pretty bad. I don't rate their every day stuff like HERSHEY's either but to each her own- I know lots of people that love Peanut Butter Cups!?

Another supermarket chocolate I like is Whittaker's of New Zealand....specifically their milk and macadamia is really, really good! Unfortunately this is the only flavour they don't export here...*sigh*

As for Aussie stuff, Haighs plain chocolate which started in Adelaide is not bad either. I've found some really great little handmade chocolate stores in regional areas the best and most memorable so far due to the freshness was the handmade Belgian treats at the Chocolate Mill near Daylesford in Victoria....one of my favourite regions in this big brown land...I'd love to live there one day :-)!

Anycase I really shouldn't be eating chocolate so I figure I'll just eat tiny amounts and only get really good quality stuff...

Anyway I can't believe I got through an arts degree and intro to psychology without being aware of the Jungian term of Synchronicity until recently- this is so, so me- wow I had no idea it had a name!

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Ok...I really want some chocolate now. Italian chocolate is good. Eating chocolate in Italy is heaven :)

Unknown said...

try Lindor truffles...deadly!

Anyway what I meant was I don't believe in coincedence...that is too random. I DO believe in synchronicity for sure, and as I have said before, everything happens for a reason. I was shocked at your email this morning...That was quick!! I will reply later today :)

Pink Heels said...

Too funny!

I prefer Belgium chocolate, Neuhaus, or French, La Maison Du Chocolat. A friend of mine recently introduced me to a British chocolate, yes British, and it is divine, Divine Chocolate. A very appropriate name.

Anonymous said...

I still love my Petit Ecolier!

As for synchronicity... I don't know P, it's abit too subjective and irrational. The prescription of meaning to disparate incidences is completely personal. It is almost a form of self-satisfying disillusionment?

I don't think that it is healthy to take it seriously but it's fun nonetheless to appreciate it :)

G

Zz... said...

Belgian, Swiss, French chocolate- yes they are all nice, fine and smooth for sure...but I don't know I still like Italian chocolate even if a bit rough- I guess cos it has bite and is intense in flavour- a bit like me I guess LOL ;)

mmm yeah how could I forget le petit ecolier?!! that is the cheapest way to get really top quality chocolate!

I find Lindt too sickeningly sweet? there is a swiss brand only can get there I prefer but I forgot the name...it's very milky- prefer strong cocoa content(it's better for you too LOL)

I still need to try GODIVA...

Zz... said...

G, I'm sold on synchronicity...it's just been too compelling a recurring aspect of my life to dismiss it! the skeptics call it "confirmation bias" ;)

koala brains said...

A tiny bit of chocolate isn't so bad. Have you noticed when you deprive yourself of something you just want it more and can't get it out of your head? Too much effort when you can just treat yourself so you can move on. :)

Ever try cacao nibs? I haven't but read it was yummy with a bit of agave syrup on it.