Sunday, August 3, 2008

3:30am Hungry-Itis

So I was dead tired- went to bed at 9pm and hence probably why I have the munchies now so am cooking myself a nice bowl of congee which should be done by breakfast...

Yesterday was nice- spent a rare day with the jetsetter sis :)

Had a much needed bit of culture and refinement which was nice for a change. Had brunch at a place that is pretty 'en vogue' at the moment -big sister's treat^^-spanish baked eggs with chorizo and a berry frappe- was o.k but for the price, the wait time for such simple food and the fact there were egg shells in it wasn't very impressive...the chorizo was blah. In any case haven't been to that part of Sydney for a bit- I forgot how pretentious (in general) Sydneysiders are...

Now my sis has become a 'burbs' chick since getting married I also showed her a couple of the artsy design shops and we checked a couple of galleries which weren't having anything great on but she was glad for cos apparently she's totally dagged out in the burbs LOL- then I also showed her a really nice French Patisserie :) For a bit she struck me as a tourist...I guess when one works so hard and is such a jetsetting career professional they kind of never have time to discover all the hidden treasures of their own city...

I'm so over this city though- I can't wait to move to regional pastures...by the ocean :)

So anyway we then made our way to the last final of the International Piano Competition...I think the majority of the crowd there was about 80- it's a shame how appreciation for classical music is so dying...

The competitors: there was a Russian, a Japanese and an American playing Prokofiev, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky respectively using a Steinway, Kawai and Steinway respectively.

Growing up with a European piano I definitely preferred the less bright sound of the Steinways but the Japanese guy was such a cutie- he was like Winnie the Pooh with glasses :) and his performance was...pleasant, whimsical even.

The Russian came across as very austere...he played a very unusual piece- from a layperson listener's view it was hard to engage with the Prokofiev- it was very temperamental, moody and changeable- it was like Bipolar...as music!

The American rounded the competition out with Tchaikovsky- his performance was a real crowd pleaser- I'll admit he was my favourite but what do I know? In the end the Russian won, the Japanese came 4th and the American rounded out the competition...

Final thought seeing it's the first time I've been to a piano competition...these piano geniuses really ought to get out in the sun more- they all look so sickly from being closed up all day!!!

No comments: