Friday, June 12, 2009

How I've come to perceive Happiness...

It never ceases to amaze me how people who seemingly have all they could ever want in life (which they are happy with) are still terribly unhappy...

Okay you could summarise it in two words: clinical depression.

Or maybe, maybe it goes like this...

People have expectations and when these are not met, it makes them unhappy.

In any case I am terribly guilty of the "if only I had..." sentiment, then I'd be PERFECTLY HAPPY.

Whether this be money, a partner, kids, or as in my case, *great health*....it doesn't actually equate to happiness...cos somewhere along the line, something else will not meet your hopes and expectations and will make you "not happy". It's an interminable state of affairs...

So this is the way I've come to perceive Happiness...

Basically if your very existence is not in actual jeopardy and you have the essentials necessary to survival eg: food, water, shelter and you're not living in an atmosphere plagued by war, hitmen, massive debts or life-threatening illness...basically, with that criteria...I argue that anything above that should be regarded as "a bonus" so that you should count yourself Happy!

In alternate terms, I guess what I am saying is that our perception needs to change so that we lower our expectations for what we feel we NEED to be happy.

And you need to consciously think about what you are happy for in the present moment...

e.g for me right now I am happy for the Swedish pear cider that sits in a fantastically pleasing wine glass (yes, I AM easy to please), and the spare time and freedom I have with which to sip it at my leisure in the privacy of my own space....in my pyjamas! ;)

Hehe...Happiness then, is forever dynamic and constantly changing, reflected in continual "moments"...

(For the people who are never happy ie those who are clinically depressed, apart from the biomedical view of it being due to chemical imbalance etc...here's an alternative thought...perhaps, it is karmic residue?!)

Or, better put ask yourself...What can I be thankful for and what do I HAVE that makes me Happy? Yes Folks, it's all about keeping that glass half FULL mentality!

Now...Stop whingeing and go back to work!!! (hehe that's what I would usually be saying to myself except for the fact that now I can be a bum as much as I wish...*sigh...now that's what I call SUPER DUPER HAPPINESS!^^ haha)

p.s this is what sounds like sheer happiness to me...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is probably the 50th time i've read something along these lines.. I've even got a little blue rock from india (with some karmic power) that I use to remind myself to be happy! Works when I actually remember to hold it (which is not very often).. so i find myself wanting more all the time =).. that's gemini's for you!

miruspeg said...

I love that quote about happiness being a journey not a destination. It’s funny, so many times I’ve looked around and thought that everyone was really happy. It made me think that something was wrong with me.
But since turning 50 I’ve found that I’m a lot calmer and have no need to compare my moods to others anymore.
Excellent post Macs.
:-)
Pegs

HappyOrganist said...

Peggy - you and Annie make 50 look so cool. I can't wait. ;-D
hehehe

Unknown said...

happiness is right now, laying on the couch with a mojito and a sunburn. :)

Coming home in a few days :(