Saturday, June 7, 2008

In the Mind of a "Shy" Person

Actually I'm starting to realise this "shy" label isn't quite all that correct!

And neither is the "anti-social" label!

These are just what extroverts call people who they don't understand: ie introverts.

For me, shyness and introversion has always been somewhat conflated-related but I guess fuelled by being especially drowned in extroverts of late and completely misunderstood, I started to read up more on these mysterious introverts lately and the recognition was overwhelming...THAT'S ME TOO!!! AND, it's perfectly normal! :-)

So just in case you were just as clueless as I once was, here is a very rudimentary explanation based on how I understand it in a nutshell...

the introvert enjoys being alone- parties, unfamiliar people and social gatherings are usually quite draining...after something like this, they need to reenergise with time and space spent alone with their thoughts. they do like the company of a few close friends on occasion though :)

the extrovert is the opposite - they love social interaction and derive their energy from being with others-they're gregarious and talkative and often enjoy being the centre of attention. they love parties and get incredibly bored when left to their own devices LOL

Anyway here are some introversion associated things I like- Jonathan Raunch's article how to care for your introvert- a must read for all extroverts! (especially ones with introvert partners!)

And The Hermit's Hearth- a nice retreat after a long hard day in an extroverted world...how bizarre, that is the exact same picture I used to keep on my wall as a teenager! Such happy relief to find like-minded souls!

No comments: