Saturday, June 28, 2008

I can't decide whether I'm a grandma or a 40 year old man...

Okay, so I copped out. Right now I should be schmoozing amongst fresh faces and getting more practice interacting with people my own age. But honestly by 8pm already having attended a function prior, I was pooped and given the option of a quick fuss free 10minute ride home or having a real arse of a time trying to commute home late at night with the inevitable beer goggled drongos that harangue you and security issues with not being able to get a cab and not being able to get a lift cos everybody's too pissed to give you a lift, well I thought it was a justified cop out.

Next time, I promise. I just don't think I can do more than one event per night- I'm just not cut out for it!

A shame, cos I'm sure it would have been...interesting.

This reminder of what a GRANDMA I am is just an echo of what I felt on my trip. I honestly felt like I was about 40 relative to the twenty somethings. And the people I got talking to or rather, bothered to talk to me...as always...40 year old men! I swear, for some strange reason, since about the age of 18, men 10-20 years older are the easiest subsector of society to talk to! With younger people, well they're just so young! With women, well I'm just not that girly: most of the time I really don't get them! It is the late thirties-forty year old men who are the easiest to talk to and the most interesting by far as well as the most stress free- I don't have to make a concerted or contrived effort - somehow conversation just comes very naturally, topics and all- I guess somewhere within me must lie a 4o year old man LOL!

The only problem is that...it looks kinda bad. I remember the first time my sister noticed this strange trend of mine- she was quick to accuse "which 36 year old man hangs out with an 18 year old - he must be a paedophile!" And what's worse is that when you're asian you look 10 years younger than your true age and all non-asians look about 10 years older than their true age- hence, I am intensely aware of the fact that this kind of association can very easily be misconstrued as something really quite unsavoury....

I guess some people were just never meant to fit into societal norms...*sigh*

No comments: