Saturday, May 17, 2008

Grandma Z

hehe continuing on from the aged theme from yesterday...with concerted and painful effort to LET SLIDE a shoddy piece of work-just get the damn thing finished Z!- managed to get out for the Second night in a row *wow* ...but sheesh, even for leisure, it's just waaaay too tiring! I was thinking maybe I could try harder to have more of a balanced life but damn, I'm only...human!

My workload this semester is seriously stretching me to my limits- the best analogy I have is that I really feel like that dough that gets worked and slapped around by the master noodle maker to be pulled into seriously long Chinese noodles...

It was P's 30th tonight and I was determined to see him in person to say Happy Birthday! It was actually G's b'day dinner as well which unfortunately I had to miss: it's so bizarre- but my whole life I have noticed weird patterns with one being that I very often have friends born on the same days or at least side by side...not to mention pretty well all my friends names start with only about 6 letters of the alphabet! Maybe that's why I can't totally dismiss all that astrology and numerology stuff!

Anyway it was pretty sad, I only ended up staying 1 hour cos the 2 hours it took to get a good bottle of wine and commute that side of the bridge...completely took it out of me...I was really on the verge of passing out without a chair to sit on and not having had a chance to eat! (That's what I call Stupid BUSY!) I was so relieved for the 10 minute ride home. Functioning without a car in Oz is really quite dysfunctional- it's times like these I wish I lived in NYC where I can just walk around the corner for the good bottle of wine and have such a reliable and frequently running public transport system...taxis here are still relatively expensive...too expensive for a student...especially when they get stuck in peak hour traffic...

Anyway the all of one hour that I stayed at P's was good. Typical P- was nice to be back in a refined and cultured setting for a change. One of his friends was a professional pianist and another a professional singer so when I entered the sounds that bathed my ears were pretty cool... just like the lobby of a swanky hotel in a 1930s film or something...

Some interesting new stuff I found out talking to genuine Chinese from China folks tonight...

*In China, the 30th b'day is the equivalent of the western 21st- it's A BIG DEAL cos that's when you are officially seen as "an adult"! (Yay! so technically I'm still just a kid!!)

*My Chinese name is seriously romantic all the way from my surname to my birth name LOL the irony.

*My Chinese name turns out to be exactly the same as the name of a tribe in Northern China (near Mongolia) which is famous for being good horse riders and good fighters(!) How curious is that!!

*And PLUS just thought I'd mention it...when my Chinese name is spelt in English which is what is on my birth certificate it is actually the same as an exotic ancient tribal village in Mexico...LOL, despite all the multiple name confusion I've grown up with, I'm starting to think my actual name is seriously cool^^!

No comments: