Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Random Serendipity: Making Friends from all over the globe :)

So it's been a good couple of months since I ventured into the online world...it's certainly been eye-opening...and something I would never have done had I not fallen down a manhole and gotten stuck on an island where I knew noone, bored out of my brain recovering my ability to walk for most of the last year!

However, as with all negatives there is a positive: I'm glad I did cos otherwise I wouldn't have made some of the friends that I have :)

And for plane-averse but foreign-culture besotted people like me it's been a great way to connect to people from all parts of the globe. The beauty of this medium is the fact geography is no limitation and it is alarmingly random- you come into contact with people of all backgrounds, ages, ethnicities usually connected by some common interest which is really cool...occasionally I get completely random people write to me...it's pretty cool and kinda exciting - kinda like when you go fishing- you never know what you will pull up!

I guess that aspect is one part of the blogging appeal. Apart from M&D who made me aware relatively late in the game of this word/concept of "weblog"(that's exactly how ignorant and non tech savvy I was)...in any case besides these geeks, I don't know anybody else from my "real life" that regularly go online and have an internet presence, but then again that's pretty typical never knowing people that share my interests! :P

On reflection, penpalling via the net sure is a distant cry from my junior school days where it was "studiously recommended" to subscribe to the school mediated snail mail penpal service so as to get practice in our foreign language of choice - mine was French...No doubt, just like my French, these penpals didn't last long...although geography is no longer a barrier, because I'm only fully conversant in English, unfortunately language still is...

At least now I appreciate penpalling for what it is and the depth of exchange writing affords, not like when my sister and I were younger and it was in large part an underhanded means of collecting exotic postage stamps for our all important stamp collections LOL ;)

I also (obviously) discovered a love of writing- not only an effective vent and stress release for daily tensions but also the means by which I'm gradually rediscovering a small portion of the creativity I exuded as a child but which got totally annihilated with all the pains of "growing up".

One last vaguely affiliated aside...a friend of mine and her girlfriend were recently at San Francisco airport when some random guy started falling over himself because of their Aussie accents...apparently an Australian accent coming out of an asian face was the sexiest thing he'd ever heard- whatever- lucky this friend is a whole lot more extroverted than me...so in the end they got a local guided tour cum chauffeur of the city for the whole 3 days they were there!

I can't say accents get me THAT EXCITED but out of all I've heard I'd have to say I like the South African accent best. In terms of languages though, I Love Spanish and French. Mandarin Chinese has definitely been the most challenging I've attempted to learn. Just in case you managed to read this far...and are a bit of a lingo enthusiast like me...

I'd like to know...
What foreign accent and language are your personal favourites??

Wait wait! 3 more burning questions...
From what country are your favourite people?
Mine would be JAPAN :)
If you didn't live where you do now, where do you think you would be living?
I think I'd like CANADA.
From where is your favourite cuisine?
Hmm...this one I can't choose between
SOUTH-EAST ASIA/FRANCE/SPANISH-PORTUGUESE-SOUTH/LATIN AMERICAN

ok that's all- get back to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What foreign accent and language are your personal favourites??
Scottish

From what country are your favourite people?
Brazilians seem very friendly, as do Aussies when you meet them overseas!

If you didn't live where you do now, where do you think you would be living?
New Zealand

From where is your favourite cuisine
Italy

Took me a while!
L

Zz... said...

thanks :-)

I guess it was a tad naive to expect you busy lazy asses to actually read through such a loooong post and bother posting answers! Especially when I lack "poking" ability :p (...I believe in liberalism...)

but really, Curious to know! Maybe you can stick these qs on Facebook for me?!

Looking forward to catching up in July! Until then it's basal nuclei, slippery pulses, rippling muscles ;) and 2 more packs of petit ecolier for me :S hope you're having more fun than i am! Z