Monday, May 26, 2008

Confrontation: MsCherryLane Discovers Assertiveness

So after yet another consecutive nicotine-fuelled winkless night of sleep leaving me three hours too late to class today, I was NOT A HAPPY CAMPER when I returned to an apartment reeking of stale and choking cigarette smoke on opening my front door.

I was prepared to let it slide (as usual) -that is- until the food I was trying to put in my mouth became engulfed in fresh new all-consuming fumes and I started to feel nauseous...THAT WAS THE FINAL STRAW. Without stopping to think about possible consequences, I went and rapped on neighbour's door...face to face with neighbour...all my frustrations bubbled over- I can't even remember what I said but the guy didn't even have a chance to utter his defense...the confrontation ended with him saying "I'm so sorry..."

Wow. Mscherrylane 1 Smoker O. This assertiveness thing is cool.

Good riddance to repressed asian "don't cause any trouble la-just suck it in" ways.

I'm wondering if it'd be pushing it too far to rock up at his door offering him free ear stud acupuncture "kick your disgusting habit" and save both of us from becoming a sick, sad statistic treatment?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I need to learn assertiveness too...although I wouldn't confront strangers cos I fear for personal safety!