Friday, May 30, 2008

How predictably irrational are you? (and other things)

Occasionally I get sent some gems. I liked this 'scientific questionnaire'.

According to it, apparently I am so rational that I should be an economist? LOL Maybe this is why I've never been one for humanities bar ones -like language- that have logic, pattern and structure?

I wonder...is it considered pathological if one is too rational? Or just plain uncaring? In any case, what is TOO rational?

Whatever the case, I think for my profession-to-be at least, it's a pretty handy trait to have...cos otherwise it is all too easy to get pulled into emotional rollercoasters...I think as long as you can build rapport and have genuine compassion, attention and empathy...detachment (and therefore professionalism) is a good thing! It doesn't help getting too involved which can cloud your objective thought processes...

The good thing is, being an individual encounter, you can still have your favourite patients - the ones you just inexplicably connect with...without seeming horribly unjust and partial like when teaching in a classroom setting.

On another random note, I was really excited to read about the discovery of an indian tribe in the Amazon that had had no human contact with the "civilised"(I use that term cynically) world. In any case, it really blows my mind to think that these ancient tribes still exist in my lifetime...I'm just sad that it is only a matter of time before they cease to exist.

On the smoker woes issue...between it, the inability to sleep and my imminent exams I am going slightly insane(just in case you hadn't noticed), however one small consolation- in talks now with the director of the strata company, seen the plans of the piping etc of the building, had an assessment by a structural? engineering company...it's now just a matter of getting the huge finances and council approval to do a major overhaul of the building...That is the limitation of being human...unfortunately we can't just click our fingers to get something done immediately, but, at least it's PROGRESS.

On a final note, FRESH AIR HERE I COME...Yipppeeee!!!

Retreat-Reprieve-Escape from city is booked fleeing right after exams :-D. Will be the first time on a plane since the accident...hopefully it will be okay. It's been so long I was kinda surprised to see that you can now buy carbon offsets for your portion of the flight! But I'm still not wholely convinced that they are effective in actuality. More in this article.

No comments: