Friday, April 24, 2009

Why I'll always Call Australia HOME.

When I talk to people from all over the world I always come back to the same conclusion: There is no other place I will ever call Home. And here are some of the main reasons...

People here are incredibly open-minded...we are tolerant of difference and embrace and encourage diversity. We're a pretty warm, easy going, friendly and welcoming bunch and a pretty harmonious melting pot.

We have incredible Freedom here...as well as Peace. And what about our beautiful natural environment, generous space, natural resources, mild weather and clean air. And when struck by adversity such as with the recent bushfires we're a pretty generous and giving bunch always willing to help those less fortunate or doing it a little tough...

And besides, the world over we're pretty popular...have you ever heard anybody overseas say they hate Australians? No, of course not. We're too lovable! ;)

Dina, if I was you, I'm sure I'd wish I was Australian too! You know so much about Australia, and you even like eating Vegemite which is the mark of a True Aussie ;) I'm sure once you got the accent down pat you could be a very good imposter! Too bad we're allies already or else I'm sure you'd make a very effective American spy!!

10 comments:

miruspeg said...

I'm with you kid....I will always call Australia home.
Macs what lovely words you have written about our beautiful country...I am proud to be Aussie too.

Big hugs
Peggy

Unknown said...

If I didn't know any better I would think you were describing Canada! Except for our mind numbing winters that is.

Reminds me of a local joke:

What does a Canadian say when you stomp on his foot....


....Sorry

Dina Roberts said...

A spy!

That would be awesome. Maybe I should push for America to have a war with Australia!!!

I was too shy to ever do the accent in Australia so I still don't know if it's good or not.

I'll have to keep practicing so I can be a good imposter.

markymark2099 said...

Guess I'm not a true aussie, cos I HATE vegemite...with a PASSION!! :)

Zz... said...

Pegs, the weirdest part is I wasn't even born here and my body is not even beneficially adapted to this environment...but somehow even though I'm healthier overseas I don't think I could live anywhere else....psychologically anyway.

Shan, sorry?? I don't get Canadian jokes...things you find funny I just think "hmmm" :S

M,Vegemite is THE BEST! you just don't know how to eat it THE RIGHT WAY matey...there is no person in real life I have fed it to that didn't start to come around...and you know it!!

Dina, yeah I knew you'd enjoy being a spy- I think with a bit more courage both of us would make AWESOME spies- totally in our blood I think! Sometimes I think of you and you totally remind me of Jamie Lee Curtis in that movie True Lies...HOW BIZARRE!!...I just found out she shares your birthday too!!!!

miruspeg said...

Shannanigans joke was pretty lame but so are Aussie jokes most of the time.

It means the person who got stomped on said sorry instead of the other way round!

Three cheers for for vegemite!

Peg

Dina Roberts said...

lol about Jamie Curtis!! I do like her...or what I know of her.

The funny thing is I RARELY like spy movies. I didn't even like The Incredibles.

I did like True Lies though.

Unknown said...

Yeah lame joke but it points at the over excessive apologetic nature of Canadians. We are too damn polite!

miruspeg said...

Yes Shannanigans I agree Canadians are very polite people....I love Canucks!

Here is a lame Aussie joke.

"What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?.....

.....a stick"

"Sheila walked into the kitchen to find Bruce stalking around with a fly swatter.
"What are you doing?" She asked.
"Hunting Flies" He responded.
"Oh. Killing any?" She asked.
"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.
Intrigued, she asked. "How can you tell them apart?"
He responded, "3 were on a beer can, 2 were on the phone."

I'm going, I'm going....I promise no more!
Cheers
Peggy

Zz... said...

LOL Pegs, those are great!!! I actually find them FUNNY..haha maybe that's why I'm Aussie and not a Canuck...btw Shan, why are you called Canucks? I never understood this- to me it's like short for "Canadian Duck" or something...