Thursday, April 30, 2009

On Trying your best.

I think I got sidetracked by temporary hedonism and sheer moments of laziness lately. Or rather the thought that most things in life are not a "big deal" once you detach from your Ego so therefore should not inspire concern. This is in stark contrast to the way that I was brought up...which was to take everything seriously and give everything your best shot (okay well also there was some family pride to live up to and to be anything less was equivalent to bringing disgrace to the family by marring the family tradition of par excellence).

Okay so maybe that is some empty concept in itself but in relation to the fact I totally bombed out yesterday in a big way I realise these family ideals are actually something I should try to stick to...cos hey, having freaking awesome grades never hurt anybody in a practical way re: job prospects, people's good opinion of you etc...for sure...sometimes it probably even opens doors that don't open for other people...just like having contacts...which is something much harder for me to do not being the most enthusiastic get out of the house and socialize person around...

I think from time to time failure is a good wake-up call cos otherwise not naturally motivated people like me would never be inspired to live up to their full potential. It kind of reminds me of all the people I know who couldn't get into selective school straight away- they had something to prove, therefore tried much harder and to this day are so much more successful than the ones like me who never felt any incentive to try any harder. As the best in the business once told me...

"There is way too much mediocrity around...don't be part of it!"

3 comments:

miruspeg said...

Yep Macs there we go again on the same wavelength!
This post is very well written, you are a natural at expressing yourself with these "tools" called words.
I have to admit I cheated with the 11:11 time for posting my latest blurb.....it was scheduled for that time. BUT I do see 11:11 most days and when I do I send light out into the universe....I should send light out anyway but the 11:11 is there to remind me.

Failure definitely has a bad name it should be given more cred!

Cheers mate
Peggy

HappyOrganist said...

I always kinda liked mediocrity. But then, that's just me.

Unknown said...

I fail so much at things that now I am so used to it...however I also do most things half assed so you do the math!