Monday, April 13, 2009

Mary and Max etc...


I'm feeling rather "ungracious" to the weather Gods today...cos I'd set aside this day to do a lengthy seaside clifftop walk but it's grey outside and looks like threat of rain...nice walking weather potentially but views not so spectacular...maybe I will still manage to do it once I manage to get off my ass! But I'm thinking maybe it is a sign telling me to stay in and start my piles of untouched schoolwork or else actually do some proper cooking to prepare for the week! *sheepish grin*

Saw "Mary and Max" last night about a true(?) random penpal friendship between a 44 year old New Yorker with Asperger's and an 8 year old girl Mary in Melbourne. Despite giggling from the sheer cuteness of the figurines(especially the animals), it was also pretty cool cos the friend I went with actually has Asperger's! Despite its "cuteness"...don't be fooled that this is a "kid's film" though, otherwise you may get a nasty surprise when your kids start asking you all the questions you've always been dreading...

In all honesty though I much preferred the shorter claymation about the somewhat dysfunctional Harvie Krumpet who has Tourette's Syndrome by the same director.

I just think it's cleverer or maybe because his work was a completely fresh discovery back then. Whatever the case Adam Elliot is such a great Aussie talent!! I looove Claymation...the other one I really like is Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit...strange, I'm not such a fan of cartoon films but I really love claymation...I guess it has just that slight touch of realism that I prefer...

4 comments:

Dina Roberts said...

Is Mary and Max the one with Toni Collette. I remember reading about it when researching her?

Or maybe I'm thinking of another movie.

Unknown said...

I like claymation too...its all about Pingu!

Zz... said...

Dina...yeah she does the voice of Mary and Philip Seymour Hoffman does the voice of Max...

Shan!! PINGU!!!!!! wow that takes me back...yeah that was probably the first one I remember besides Gumby...

Anonymous said...

I love Wallace and Gromit!! "Nice cheese Gromit!"