Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cool New Words.

To celebrate arriving in time to see the light of day at home, I present not ONE but THREE cool new words!

palimpsest (thanks Zoch!)

Podunk (thanks S!)

Hibernophile (this is my contribution: cos I am one LOL...Hellooooo Ireland!!!)

Okay come clean word geeks, who already knew these?!

If you are a Word Lover like me, please take the time to have fun and do some good at one of my all-time favourite sites Free Rice!

POP QUIZ! What is the term for people who LOVE WORDS?! (cos I'd like to know and have forgotten...)

EDIT: i remember now- a lover of words specifically is a LOGOPHILE! here is a real treat of a site for fellow logophiles...enjoy!

some of my personal favs:

apodysophilia feverish desire to undress (in stinking hot summers yeah!)
philalethist lover of truth (bluntness is so refreshing!)
philomath lover of learning (c'est moi)
philonoist one who seeks knowledge (y yo)
thalassophilous living in or fond of the sea (me too!)
topophilia great love or affection for a particular place (anywhere EX-city!)
clinophilia passion for beds (LOVE my Space bed :-)... just wish I got more time to spend in it!)

electrophile substance having an affinity for electrons or negative charge (me!)
turophile cheese lover (my sister, my ex and Wallace and Gromit)
xenophilia love of foreigners (me!!!)
gynotikolobomassophile one who nibbles on women’s earlobes (haven't met anybody like this yet lol)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm a hibernophile too!

The best I can come up with for a lover of words is etymologist.

I have another favourite (you've tapped into something here) and that's onomatopoeic.

Oxymoron is good too! Sounds like it should mean a 'daft cow' but its when two terms that contradict each other are used in conjunction.

Unknown said...

I love Free Rice


Except when I get a word wrong I sort of feel guilty for all the kids that won't get any dinner thanks to me ;)