Sunday, July 24, 2011

What Constitutes a REAL Christian anyway?

This is the big thought niggling me lately. I look around at people that call themselves Christians, people that attend church...they often don't always meet what I think constitutes a Christian. Most modern Christians I think are "pick and choose" Christians. Most fallen Christians are people that believe if God is omnipotent why did he let them suffer? Therefore he must not exist or he doesn't care about me so I don't care for him is what I often hear. I am so tired of these people who blame all their misfortunes on God without realising that suffering is an inherent part of human existence. Partly though I can't understand how people have such a shallow understanding of God...or maybe it is because Knowing God requires having a real relationship and not just being sent to Sunday school?

The Norwegian terrorist is identified as "Christian" but how can acts of murder be called Christian?

There is so much hypocrisy. Then all the factionism. No wonder there is so much disillusionment with Christianity these days. I understand why if you say you are a Christian alot of the time people's eyes narrow and look at you distrustfully. I think in this modern world...alot of people are messed up and Christians aren't immune.

It IS nice though those very rare few times you meet REAL Christians...I don't know if it's something that can necessarily be "defined" in these modern ages though...it's rather more perhaps like an energy that people radiate...that of the Holy Spirit...but then apparently not every Christian has the Holy Spirit permanently indwelling in them either...does that make them not a real Christian? I don't know...it's all very confusing.

I happened across a passage in the bible describing the end times...it mentioned "famine and earthquakes"...seems like we're in the midst of them then...

7 comments:

Franko Gnedo said...

mmm "Real" Christians. I know little but i am learning. I believe God views everyone as "real" Christians but that they often do not "act" as real Christians. God seems to understand the weakness of people and is ready to take them back whenever they are ready. So in that sense being a "real" Christian is spiritual rather than action based.

People who blame God must believe in God and so ironically are one of the faithful.

In history i believe that people often say that the end of times may be near because of earthquakes, famine, war, crime etc. But in my opinion the truth is that as terrible as it can seem the world has never been a better place. For example this afternoon while waiting with my daughter for the dentist I flicked through a book full of old newspaper articles. One was from the 50s and the Minister for Immigration (no doubt a real Christian in his mind and the minds of most Australians) said "We can have a white Australia or we can have a black Australia but we can not have a mongrel Australia!" He was passionately defending the rounding up of non white immigrants and sending them away. Some had married white Australians and had children. In comparison this makes Australia seems compassionate and non racist in the current boat people debate.

Zz... said...

FG, I don't subscribe to the universal God view...only cos I know that there are all kinds of spiritual entities that people worship and mistake for God...that ultimately bring misery and destruction...and all other fruits of evil.

hence how the bible warns of idol worship and evil manifesting as angels of light...

it's very eye opening once your idealistic bubble gets burst on this...

Strange I interpreted "we cannot have a mongrel australia" as he did not approve of interaccial marriage and offspring!

I like how you exist in your happy bubble lol...for me I don't know the "energy" that pervades just seems dark and dank...and I don't know but I just seemed to notice a lot more chaos and strife and disaster occurring in recent times at a rate much more frequent than I have ever been aware of...but then again, I'm only a very young thing ;)...so it's all relative...and maybe just a coincidence I'm trying to draw a pattern from more than exists...

Franko Gnedo said...

I have the same interpretation that it is about interracial marriage and offspring.

The sharp reality of life bursts my happy bubble too often. luckily it is good at repairing itself.

I do think that the world too often sucks but that it sucks less than it has done in history (i.e. it is improving). The part of the world that sucks to me are some of its people. Earthquakes and extreme weather events when they impact on people makes feel sorry for those people but it disturbs me less than seeing people choosing to destroy thier lives and the lives of those around them when actually they are living in a world that could be a heaven.

The second reading of the 18th Sunday does however give me some comfort.

Zz... said...

FG what is the second reading of the 18th sunday?

I think it is so interesting how you perceive the world as better relative... I think I am environmentally sensitive and nature is being destroyed as time goes on and on...with people...well people have always been crap to each other since time immemorial and will continue to do so...in certain ways the modern society is better than primitive society more humane etc... I figure though that it is all about how you choose to perceive and react...with the environmental situation...I don't know it doesn't matter how I look at it...it's BAD and growing worse.

Franko Gnedo said...

The second reading goes something like this "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." the 18th Sunday is this Sunday. I like it because it says to me that external events can not damage our spirit. If i had more faith it would mean more.

Zz... said...

"external events can not damage our spirit. If i had more faith it would mean more." Yup, get faith...it's a rock solid foundation every human benefits from to be able to cope with all the challenges that life throws our way.

Strange never heard of bible verses referred to like that...usually it's like John 14:3 or something like that

Franko Gnedo said...

it would be nice to have faith. I have some faith but I have difficulty accepting that there is just one true religion.

I think I should have referred to it as Romans 8:35 37-39.