Thursday, July 28, 2011

Not cut out to be a....

So this is kinda interesting...I did something pretty unusual today. I woke up tired of wearing out the leather soles of my pretty Handmade Brazilian shoes...so found enough drive to go about making my own leather houseslippers! So I finally got around to tackling that difficult task of ...with mere thread&needle, leather scrap, a pair of scissors, and a pair of pliers...

So I finally have a right shoe. *Phew! Who knew shoemaking could be so tiring...I am friggin exhausted...and my head actually HURTS from all that concentration and my body aches from all that physical labour. I think that one slipper took almost 5 hours...and that was as a rough prototype quality experimenting from scratch, lol I don't even know how to sew...hence with sheer bravado I was half way to attempt to cut a paper pattern first but then I just thought eh stuff it...that is the way I am...so I made it up along the way...not very professional...in fact I am so ADD-like that I had no discipline or interest to sew neatly or uniformly...it was too boring so I stitched "creatively" and cut as I pleased(cos I always NEED to add my own individualised creative license somehow...lol)...surprisingly it actually turned out...reasonably functional and okay looking...kinda like a dark brown Birkenstock slipper! And the best part is it's ALL leather!

So anyway...I'm just waiting for a day I have enough energy to have finished a pair...after that I think I'm throwing in the towel...I'm not cut out to be a shoemaker!

4 comments:

HappyOrganist said...

I'm glad you're trying all these things, though =) You know what this post needs.. a photo ^^

Franko Gnedo said...

I know zero about fashion or what a Birkenstock slipper is but I picture a shoe similar to the story of the Elves and the Shoemaker. Maybe if you leave some cut out leather overnight you will have a left shoe!

Zz... said...

I know HO...but they aren't THAT spectacular...if you come visit I will show you the real deals...LOL if they were pretty PINK with pretty little shiny flower stickers on them I would post a pic for you LOL

FG,
it's okay you're a surfer -there is no point in fashion when you're just going to get wet and messy and salted and sanded. Not far off...elfish but not quite so cute...I like that thought about leaving out leather...I was always the kid that believed in the tooth fairy, santa & his reindeer etc...you are too cute! I didn't do as you said but I found drive to complete the pair today :)the second one only took half the time and looked a lot neater...shows the value of "experience" and learning...

HappyOrganist said...

I'll send you some pink leather..... soon ^^


;D