Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Digital Photos are driving me insane!

argh, I have spent almost all day with my head stuck in my picture folder...it is majorly time sucking and I think I'm ready to call it quits!

Does anybody have good tips on how to store/organise/upload/sort everything effectively? Currently I am working within a Windows Vista environment with a very backward version of Photoshopand a pretty slow internet connection and it's REALLY REALLY time wasting.

One thing I especially want to know is: is there some program which can automatically convert big picture files to small ones? I only know if you email them via outlook it will offer to do it for you, apart from that no ideas...

anyway I'm just a little distraught because I lost the file for possibly the most award winning black and white portrait I have ever taken! GRRRRR...what was that again- ATTACHMENT being one of the roots of evil stress!!!! Grrrrr.

But really what do you think is the best? Should I back everything up to hard drive or start burning pictures to CDs- what have you found is most effective?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

When you figure it out let me know...I have tons of pics on my comp and so far I just backed them up onto an external hard drive. What I plan to do with them...who knows! The curses of modern technology eh?

Anonymous said...

Some of those picture handling programmes can be a pain. As for the size - you can adjust the dpi or usually there is an option for hi res or low. I go for 72dpi for my blog pics cos it works well on screens. You can also crop them to make the file smaller - so it uploads faster. I'm on an Apple Mac - which has quite an easy-to-use programme for pics. But then most Apple stuff is easier to use than PCs I find...

koala brains said...

I lost a BUNCH of pics that were on my old laptops. I killed 2 in the past year and unfortunately didn't upload a bunch of them. I try to upload my pics to Shutterfly or someone like them so they are out there. Pick a service that will allow you to burn the pics onto CD.