Thursday, May 28, 2009

News Round Up

So, just unwinding from the intensity of study...was reading the paper...and so many stories today just seemed to be deja vu...

PLANES AND GAMES
1. 2 planes collided taxiing on the runway at one of our local airports...LOL strongly reminiscent of me recently playing the latest IPHONE game obsession "Flight Control"...lol I seriously don't get the obsession...maybe cos I suck at it?? However, it did give me a major craving to play computer games again...my favourite ones are always simulation games like THE SIMS ;) In another weird revelation, one of my cheapest thrills that brings me great joy is to play a virtual version of my real life but in the Sims...I recreate my life in the virtual realm down to the correct personalities and star signs for all the people I know!!! So fun :) For quick gaming pleasure I also like the mental exercise provided by Set Games. And in terms of board games...can't go past good ol Scrabble and Balderdash (this game is awesome played in a whole group full of B.S artists like me ;) hehe probably why I'm a pretty sly poker player too ;)

HOLIDAYS GONE WRONG
2. A cruise ship has had 3 crew confirmed struck down with Swine Flu. Not only that but the ship had to divert for an emergency stop cos a child seriously injured their arm. That just reminded me of when I got very badly injured in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef. It was not fun. I had to endure an excruciating 2 hour *bumpy* ride while the ship diverted to the nearest Helicopter Pad so I could get to medical care on the mainland...and even then it was not appropriate...bone level surgery with only a topical anaesthetic- I swear I screamed as much as a pregnant woman would in drug free labour under duress. If you're going to get severely injured being stuck in the middle of the ocean is definitely not a comforting thought...Yeah, if you have any Holiday from Hell stories, please share...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES
3. A student woke up worried over financial troubles in the family had a brain wave to check her old lottery tickets two months before the expiry date...turns out she won a cool $13 mil. Hmmm...if only ALL embattled struggling students could wish their financial strains away to manifest so magnificently! LOL

GUNS AND THE CHALLENGE OF PARENTING
4. A 3 year old girl in California accidentally shot her brother dead after finding a loaded gun under her parents' bed. This just illustrates why I am so averse for civilians to keep guns in their house...not only that, but recalls a recent conversation I had where I was arguing with a guy that parenting is not that "simple" and how you need to constantly watch them so they don't get up to strife...and hurt themselves...this is exactly the kind of incident I was referring to...that, or the kid ends up drowning in the backyard pool, or ends up tipping boiling hot water on themselves by pulling on pot handles poking out...so many injuries to kids are preventable if parents practised a higher level of care factor/paranoia...lol needless to say my every move was watched like a hawk so I never came into any preventable misfortune growing up!

No comments: