Sunday, February 1, 2009

Francois Truffaut's The 400 Blows (1959)



So as my free time rapidly ticks down, I've been in the mood to indulge my long lost cinema habit- and not just any...I've only been in the mood for old time classics.

There's just something about old movies, and not just for the gorgeous black and white visuals where each screen would make a half decent photo...I think it's because there are less "party trick ruffles" that modern technology affords cinema these days so you tend to get a film that has more consideration in its plot, dialogue and construction. I guess I also enjoy these realistic coming of age type stories, in particular this one, because I can relate to our protagnoist as the troublemaker problem child! ;) I also absolutely adored this film as a series of visuals...since I love black and white photography above all...and this one is stunning...the French definitely have a fine tradition of excellent cinematography...

I'm lucky my local library seems to have a really awesome arthouse collection of old school classics and foreign films (much better than the video shop- and the best part is it's free :)

Apart from engrossing myself in old time flicks, all I really feel like doing lately if I do go out, is to go to the beach sit there and just breathe....no kidding! I guess that's pretty anti-social but that's what I feel like. But since I know that time is ticking down I'm still making myself go out and catch up with people a little just cos I feel I have to while I have the opportunity...

I guess if there were more mature souls in this part of the world maybe I'd feel a little differently but the reality is I'm inundated by baby souls here and it can get pretty draining...

No comments: