Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Soothing Earthenware...

I remember having to write “poetry” in senior school. What a nightmare! I didn't end up writing poetry but instead putting in words some vivid imagery of a clay sculptor painstakingly bringing the material to life and then shattering it to pieces. I guess it was a good reaction to my teenage angst and rebellion at the time, LOL.

In any case some 12 years later I still find working the hands into the clay medium especially by the rhythmical spinning wheel…very soothing. From a alternative therapeutic viewpoint it is connecting with the earth = very grounding… A good form of stress relief! Not sure why but I am so drawn to natural materials…ceramics, glass, stone, wood, shell, plant, metal…you will always find lots of these in my house. I guess it is my way of bringing nature into the house. I guess that is why I also really like animals :D

2 comments:

JJ said...

Best not say what this conjures up in my horrid little Sagittarian mind.

Metal?

HappyOrganist said...

That's lovely. I don't like the feel of dirt/clay. so drying. ick.
makes sense, though, that I wouldn't like it (given how dry my skin can be at times).
Glad you like it, though! ;D

I had a little clay spinning wheel set-up when I was a child. Got for Christmas .. kinda fun.